Wednesday 18 July 2007

Witholding The Tears

Had a good talk with an advisor yesterday, who I initially went to see for advice on my housing and financial situation. The anxiety attacks got cripplingly bad, so much so that there were several occasions where I had to stop speaking, as the anxiety had taken over my mind and compelled me to focus on that instead. The woman advisor did a good job of reassuring me though. There were several times when I nearly walked out, but we ended up having a good chat for at least a couple of hours.

Well, I say "chat"...she did most of the talking, and all I could do was murmur acknowledgement every now and then. I'm not well and she could see that I'm not well, so I felt under no pressure to hold anything back or not let on about how bad I really feel. Although I did manage to hold the tears back...we talked mainly about my family and I kept feeling on the verge of crying, as it became apparent to me just how much I miss my family. But crying isn't going to help improve the situation. It might offer a short-term relief, but that is not enough. If I got into the crying mentality then I'd cry all the time, and it wouldn't change a damn thing.

It's good to talk though.


3 comments:

nadcesca said...

Steve, I wish I could let you cry on my shoulder. I think that crying isn't always bad or weak. It makes you release tension built up inside you. Maybe you should try it! I wish I could give you a real hug but all I can do for now is send you virtual (((HUGS))), xxx

Polar Bear said...

I'm so glad you were able to talk to your advisor.

I sometimes feel better too after talking to my therapist. She talks a lot more than I do, but it helps not having to hide the pain and having someone understand.

jadeila said...

Hey thankyou both for your comments. I think I probably will have a good cry at some point!